Saturday, June 21, 2008

Things have improved.

My grandmother is still driving me insane, but to a lesser degree. I think it's just bothering me less because the gnome is feeling better now, but that's fine by me!

The gas is mostly gone now, though it did come back a little when my grandmother kept complaining about how the gnome must be hungry still and I caved and gave her formula again. I've gotta stop doing that! Well, both 'that's'- giving her formula and caving. The formula was what gave her the gas last weekend, because it did it again. Contrary to popular myth it was nothing in MY breastmilk that did it, thank you very much, grandma. So no formula, ever again. EVER.

The gnome is back to being a happy, pain-free baby. She is still a wee bit gassy, but she isn't crying because of it- it just happens without any drama and that's the end of it.

So I am working on filling out her baby book, and there was a picture I'd taken of her when she first got home, sitting in her swing. I realized just now as I was looking at the picture and then up at her in her swing now just how much she's grown. It's INSANE. Her head is like, double the size it was! I can't get over it! I do know she's gained weight because she's been to the doctor and was weighed, but I had NO IDEA how much larger she looked. I guess when you start out at almost 7 pounds, 2 pounds makes a big difference. It is almost 30% of her body weight, after all. I suppose if I gained 30% of my weight in a few weeks that would be alarming, too.

Speaking of MY weight, we went to the OB for my final scar-checkup, and I was down another 10 pounds (this may have changed recently due to the homemade fudge my grandmother made). I am pretty close to my pre-baby weight, but I can't fit into most of my pre baby outfits. It's because my chest is so enormous from nursing- I guess I won't be wearing most of that stuff this summer after all. Oh well.

My inlaws are asking again about visiting at the end of August. I guess that's okay. They can't be worse than my grandmother has been this past week. I'm not saying I'm looking forward to their visit, but I'm certainly not dreading it as much as I was. Though I guess it doesn't matter who visits, I'm sufficiently bonded enough to the gnome to the point where if someone holds her for too long or refuses to give her back to me I get panicked inside, so they probably will annoy me no matter what. I have the same internal dialogue with my grandmother as I did when they were here before, that goes something like "Damn it, she's MY baby- she came from MY body- give her back!" I am just too polite to say it. Oddly enough, friends can hold her for as long as they'd like. I guess it depends on if I feel threatened by the holder, and between the in laws' comments and my grandmother's "joking" about stealing the gnome away, I get a little tense when they hold her.

No comments: