Thursday, June 12, 2008

A good few days

It's been a good few days for the gnome.

Yesterday she went with me to see all her honorary aunties and uncles at my new office. She did very well being passed around and was only slightly fussy towards the end of our visit. It was so sweet to see everyone with her, especially her Auntie Nissa, who marched her around proudly from person to person. It helps me, because I would feel like I was showing off if it were me holding her the whole time. It's a lot easier to have someone else show her off - its too much directness for me. I tend to get a little shy, even with people I know really well.

One of the best things that happened, though was Nissa's proclamation upon seeing the gnome that she had gotten fat! I was so happy to hear that, really, especially with everyone bitching at me about her being "skinny". She was never "skinny," so I take personal offense to that. But anyways, to have someone who saw her before she started eating more say that she looks fatter is a very, very good thing. This weekend at the mall my husband was carrying her in the infant seat and he says to me "What are you feeding this thing?" It was cute. Another positive reinforcement that she's getting fatter.

Then today we had a weight check at the pediatrician's office. Guess what! She gained 11 oz in 8 days! Her goal is 1 oz per day! She beat that! I'm so happy!!! She now weighs 8lbs 13 oz! They suggested we do one more weigh in next week, and said by Thursday she should weigh 9lbs 4 oz. I am certain her weight gain has to do solely with the breastfeeding. She's maybe had four bottles of formula in 8 days, so I can't credit that, nor do i want to. The doctor also said I don't even need to bother with the formula, so yay!

After the doctor's appointment I stopped by the store to get more Brita filters. While we were there we went over to the Carter's baby store, just to see what they have. They had the CUTEST white sundress, and i had been looking for a white dress for her announcement pictures, so I got it. It was 60% off! Hopefully Auntie Nissa can make it tomorrow, because I don't know how long that dress is going to fit her, as Carter's runs small and the gnome is getting fatter by the day. I also got her a five-pack of onesies for 7 dollars. She never had many of the short sleeved 0-3 onesies, and since it's been so hot i figured it was okay to buy them even though they may not fit her much longer. Besides, some days she goes through 3 0r 4 outfits, so you can never really have too many onesies.

The gnome has been doing the WEIRDEST thing ever lately. Okay, get this- sometime while she's nursing, she'll stop to scream at the top of her lungs and then continue drinking. Weird, right? I tried burping her the last time she did it and she spit up a bit, so it's probably gas, but it's so weird, because it sounds like someone is torturing her, and it never fails to get my husband to get up from the computer (a monumental task) and come investigate. It's kind of funny, actually. The other thing she does sometimes while she's nursing is fart. Like ten times in a row. Especially in the morning. I just laugh at her, but really I'm glad she does it, because sometimes she gets such bad gas she just cries and cries and nothing comes out no matter how much she strains. Thank goodness for mylicon... You should see the face she gives me when I give her the mylicon- she obviously doesn't love the taste, but she tolerates it. Babies are so funny.

No comments: