Thursday, June 5, 2008

Progress.

Last night i had a long talk with my husband about the nursing issues, and we've decided to call a lactation consultant. He actually emailed a woman from the list the nurse gave me yesterday, so we'll see how that works out. I'm not sure why *he* emailed her, but its okay. Just tell me where to go and when to go there and I'll do it.

The fenugreek seems to be working. I noticed a big increase this morning. I pumped at 4:30 am and then again at 8 and got 4 oz each time, which is pretty good. So far today I've given her 4 oz at each feeding and no formula whatsoever. If I can do more on my own then why bother with the fake stuff? If that's not "enough" then I don't know what is, but considering i've been taking the fenugreek for only 24 hours, maybe its not done working its magic yet and i can get up to 5 at each pumping. That should be more than enough for her- though I think 4 is fine, because at her 2pm feeding she started falling asleep before she finished and didn't really want to keep going. She's asleep now, rocking in her swing. So sweet.

I came up with some nursing questions. First, if your baby eats more as she/he gets older, do you produce more to accommodate? Does that mean your breasts get bigger and bigger? Do I need to keep buying new bras as the baby grows? Also, how much water do you need to drink between feedings? I was drinking a ton, but now I'm getting paranoid that i'm going to thin my blood and die like that lady in the radio contest from a year or so ago. Remember that Wee for a Wii contest out of Sacramento, CA?

I got another gift for her today- a cute little summer outfit in the 6-9 month size. Again, not to seem ungrateful, but she can't wear a romper in November! At least with this one I know where it's from and can try to exchange it for a smaller size. No doubt the givers will want a picture, so I will try to get the same thing. It's cute- I don't hate it- but again, it's going to go to waste, because i'm not putting a 6 month old in a summer outfit in November. And her birthday is at the END of the month, so she probably won't even fit into it until well into December. People have the fortitude to buy bigger sizes in advance- why do they not try to figure out WHEN the child might actually fit into the outfit? Drives me nuts.

3 comments:

Monkeymama said...

You will produce more milk as your baby ages. Also, the composition of the milk actually changes as the baby ages - so the milk you produce for a 6 month old will have a different amount of fat than the milk you produce now. Pretty amazing!

Around this time your breasts have probably reached their nursing size. Our bodies get used to producing the milk needed around the times needed. So if you skip a feeding you might feel engorged and bigger, but not most of the time.

When your daughter starts getting a lot of calories from solid food your supply will start to diminish and some people need smaller bras at that point.

I've read that you just need to drink enough water so that you don't feel thirsty. You don't need to push extra water. The old line of thinking was an extra glass for each feeding, but now they just tell you to follow your thirst.

You are doing a great job - this is something that sounds so easy, but really it's a learned skill. :)

Monkeymama said...

www.kellymom.com

and

http://www.llli.org/nb.html

both have a lot of good information and FAQs.

Home of the Gnome said...

Thanks! I really have no idea about any of this stuff, and really nobody to ask.