Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tummy Time

Last night I finally had a free minute to read ahead in "What to Expect The First Year." Fittingly so, because yesterday was the gnome's 4-week birthday, so she's now in 'month 1' or maybe she will be tomorrow on her official one-month birthday. Either way, I had no idea what was in store, so I'm glad I got to catch up.

One of the many discoveries I made (besides that the poor thing has cradle cap, though granted it's a very mild case and just looks like dandruff (see the post entitled "molting")) is that the gnome should be starting "tummy time." I'm glad the book said this, because I googled tummy time a few weeks ago and the only reference I found to it said it starts at 3-4 months, not weeks. The chapter in WTETFY said by the end of this month the gnome should be able to hold her head up on her own whilst lying on her tummy, so I tried her first tummy time last night and guess what? She can already lift her head. Granted, it's for maybe two seconds at a time, and she spent the entire tummy time frogging around trying to get away, but I was so happy I nearly cried. She can also hold her head up when she's being held upright for burping. She doesn't have the best control of her neck by any means, but she gives it a good try every time. The book also said that it wasn't my imagination- she should be able to return a smile, which she's been doing! I don't care if she's advanced or ahead of the pack, but as long as she's average or reaching her milestones on time, I'm happy! I feel vindicated- like maybe, just maybe, I'm not doing everything wrong.

On the family front, my MIL sent an email today asking if they can come back to visit in July. I just forwarded it to my husband with the word "JULY????" I'm sorry, but that's way too soon. No more parents until at least August. If we're going to figure out this parenting thing for ourselves we need TIME to do it.

No comments: