Friday, August 1, 2008

I have a feeling...

... That these posts are going to get fewer and far-between in the coming months. I'm just so busy!

So what's been happening:

Well, the gnome has been having really bad gas again this week. I have come to the conclusion its from the walnuts I've been eating, and the last time she got it it was from the peanut butter. Nuts are the only things that the two instances have in common. Anyway, it got so bad one night that she woke up with an ear full of blood from scratching and pulling at her ear in frustration all night. It was horrible, but she hasn't done it since, and her ear is healing nicely. you can only see one tiny scab now- i think the rest is inside her ear so you can't really see it. The gas is still here- last night was particularly terrible, and I wish I knew how to make it stop. Mylicon does nothing, or so it seems. I did spend about an hour just massaging her tummy, which she seemed to enjoy.

She did give us quite a scare yesterday. She was sleeping in her swing and I went to wake her for her feeding, and I had to practically yell to get her to wake up. I said her name three times without a twitch, and she felt cool to the touch. I was terrified she had died in her sleep, but she finally squirmed a bit and outstretched her arms (its so weird to me that babies are born knowing how to stretch!). My husband had this look of terror on his face that didn't go away for an hour after that. It's scary.

A cute thing happened, too. I was sitting on the couch with her on my lap, and I was eating yogurt, and I just happened to look down at her, sure she was looking at my husband or the tv, and lo and behold, she was actually looking, head tipped back, up at me, with these huge blue eyes, just watching me eat my yogurt. It was so cute.

She has been getting along great with the dogs, too. She'll stare at them and suddenly smile. It's very cute. Speaking of smiling, sometimes she'll catch me smiling at her when she's nursing, and she smiles back while she's latched and then sort of blush and turn away. Its so adorable. She's shy!

Last night I couldn't fall asleep and just lay awake thinking about how much I love her, and I had to fight the urge to get her out of the bassinet and hold her. I'm completely smitten! I guess you never really know when it happens, but it's not just that she's "mine" or that I'm attached to her because I created her, I truly, genuinely love her so much, separate of the fact that I created her and that she's my offspring.

2 comments:

Monkeymama said...

Oh I love those milky smiles where the seem to want to unlatch and smile, but eat too. When she is a little older you can try to make her giggle while she nurses. It's hilarious to have a baby who is trying to eat but keeps giggling with milk dribbling out.

Home of the Gnome said...

I'm laughing already! Who knew someone as previously uptight as myself would get a kick out of nursing smiles- and write about it, even. Chalk it up to the magical power of babies!