Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Two steps forward, two steps back.

Developmentally speaking, the gnome is ahead of the game in some areas, and noticeably behind in others. I'm sure they're all my fault, but now I'm beginning to panic a little. For instance, the whole "tummy time" thing is not really her forte. She fusses and cries whenever I put her on her belly, so she doesn't really go on it for very long. This has naturally set her back in the whole 'holding her head up on its own' department. She is doing okay sitting up when I prop her up in my arms and her head seems pretty sturdy then, but a woman from my childbirth class circulated a picture of her baby pushing herself up with her arms, and she's only about two weeks older than the gnome! Damn it! I guess I have to do more tummy time with her or something. What have I done?? I know you're not supposed to "compare" your child's progress to another, but how can you not?

On the flip side, for the past three nights the gnome has only gotten up ONCE each evening! ONCE! Last night she slept from about 10 pm to 5 am, and that was the only time she got up! Of course, I should be rejoicing, but part of me is worried that she's not going to get enough food now.

Why is parenting so hard???? Gah!

In other horrible news, my husband's company is having some financial difficulties (seems no one is buying their software at the moment) and they're talking layoffs. Since he just took this job when he was laid off in December, he'd probably be on the short-list of the first employees to go. Great. It was scary enough when I was pregnant- but no money and an infant? Not good. I guess I'll have to get WIC or something, or go back to work full time and he could watch the gnome. We'd be homeless, but at least I'd have trustworthy childcare. Okay, I am not going to stress out about this. I am not, I am not, I am not. Think happy thoughts! Yeah, I'll think about babies, white wine and puppies. The finer things in life.

No comments: