Thursday, July 10, 2008

Comfortable.

So the other day when my in-laws called, my MIL also mentioned something that I didn't give much thought to at the time. I was telling her about how the gnome has been sleeping through the night, and she asked me, "Is she still sleeping in the bedroom with you?" and I answered yes, and she replied "Well you need to start putting her in her crib now- she's ready."

Okay, so, I was kind of annoyed, but its okay, because I don't really care what anyone else thinks. The gnome doesn't sleep in our bed- she has a bassinet, which wasn't cheap, and I feel as though I should get my money's worth out of it, because her crib will turn into a twin bed eventually. Anyways, it holds babies up to 20 pounds, which the gnome is nowhere near, so she's fine in it, and even though she's been sleeping through the night, she sometimes wakes up and fusses and its easier to reach over and help her than having to get out of bed and find her. Also, when she starts teething she will likely start waking up again,, I'm told, so this is by no means a permanent thing.

2 comments:

Monkeymama said...

I think you are the "back-in-time" version of me sometimes. Both my mom and MIL thought we kept my daughter in our room for too long (4 or 5 months, funny how those memories fade) and thought she should be in her own room.

My daughter did have a lot of sleep trouble until she was almost 3, which they both said was because she wasn't in her own room from the start. It's hard to say.

My son's crib is still in our room and he's 7 months. As a breastfeeding mom, it only makes sense. He usually spends part of the night in our bed because I'm not awake enough to put him back.

After we put her in her own room I had such paranoia about someone going in and bugging her in the night. (Is it paranoia if it is worry about something that would actually happen?) They all were so concerned that I get enough sleep that I was worried they wouldn't bring her in if she wanted to eat. We actually gave guests our room and slept on the floor in her room a few times, so that we'd be able to handle any problems. But, she was such a fussy baby - it was always easier for me to just nurse her right away.

You are the Mama, you make the rules!

X said...

I am so happy to hear its not just me on this! I actually bought the bassinet specifically for the purpose of keeping my MIL away from the baby while she's asleep! Sometimes gnomette ends up in our bed too, if she fusses enough and I'm too tired to rock her back to sleep!